Vary the flavors by adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to the topping, or change the balance of berries in the mix. Substitute a gluten-free flour blend if you prefer. Serve this warm with a scoop of ice cream and you can’t miss. Serves 8. Prep time: 15 minutes active; 40 minutes total.
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
4 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and zest.
- Add the melted butter and stir to mix. Reserve.
- Place the berries in a 2-quart baking dish, and sprinkle with sugar, arrowroot or cornstarch, and vanilla. Toss gently to coat, until well combined.
- Crumble the oat mixture over the berries in the dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden, and the juices are thick and bubbly all the way around the dish.
- Let cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop