Interested in flexible part-time work? The Co-op now has positions for workers who want to work less than 30hrs/week and who want or need a more flexible schedule. Flex Workers receive discounts on groceries, retirement and generous paid sick leave. The starting wage for Flex positions is $16.42/hr plus a quarterly bonus.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, check out the job description and application below.
OLYMPIA FOOD CO-OP FLEX STAFF JOB DESCRIPTION
Co-op Flex Staff members operate as an on call and fill in support staff. Flex Staff are responsible for responding to our on-call dispatch and bi-weekly scheduling system. Flex Staff responsibilities are outlined in the Co-op’s staff handbook and include a wide variety of tasks related to store operations. This includes retail floor coordination/customer service, supervision of volunteers, store supervision, cashiering, stocking, food preparation, warehouse coordination, online order work, etc.
- attempt to work with scheduling and on call systems and work no more than 29 hours/week
- have physical abilities to lift and carry 10-50 lbs. repeatedly over the course of one day
- have physical abilities to perform general grocery tasks, stocking, cashiering, delivery receiving, etc.
- speak, read, and write English
- have basic math and money-handling skills
- have flexibility in scheduling, and be available for on-call work
- have willingness to learn about and support a cooperative workplace
- be able to give helpful, considerate, thorough customer service
- Retail or food service work experience
- Customer service work experience
- Group/collaborative decision-making experience
- Demonstrated communication skills – verbal and written
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Basic computer literacy skills
- Advanced math and money handling skills
- Multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
Flex Staff will receive a starting wage of $16.42. These positions are for workers who want a non-management level position. Flex workers receive a quarterly bonus of $1/hr for every hour worked. Flex staff also receive raises based on total hours worked. In addition, they will receive the Co-op COLA (cost of living adjustment) yearly increases which will be added to their base wage.
Hours will be a combination of bi-weekly, scheduled as needed, and on-call shifts. Flex Staff receive thorough training in various departments and shifts as needed. You build the schedule that fits your needs best.
Flex Staff and their designated family receive 20% off eligible Co-op purchases. This discount is paused if they don’t work for more than 1 month and will resume when they start taking shifts again.
The Olympia Food Co-op offers a 3% matching retirement contribution beginning in the year following earnings of at least $5,000 at the Co-op. We also offer entry into an Employee Assistance Program.
Flex Staff Application
In order to assure the broadest possible access to applications, and to give our hiring team adequate time to get to know candidates, the Olympia Food Co-op is always accepting applications. You can print this PDF, or visit either store pick to pick up a copy. Paper applications can be returned to customer service at either store. Applicants can expect to be contacted by the hiring team regarding their hiring status by the end of the calendar month that follows the month in which they submitted their application. For example, for applications received anytime in May applicants will hear back from us by the end of June.
Applicants who receive first interviews are then notified whether or not they have been named as finalists. Finalists remain “active” for twelve months from the date of their first interview and will be considered for second interviews when openings occur.