This Indian dish is delicious served hot over basmati rice with a side of naan; garnish with fresh cilantro or chopped peanuts for color and crunch. Add cubed tofu, paneer or cooked chicken at the same time as the frozen vegetables for a heartier version. Substitute cream for the coconut milk if desired. Serves 4. Prep time: 30 min.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 small red or Yukon potatoes, diced
½ cup water
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons curry powder
12 ounces frozen organic mixed vegetables
1 cup light coconut milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, then add the ginger, garlic and potatoes and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add the water, tomato sauce and curry powder and bring to a simmer.
- Stir well, cover with a lid and cook 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables and coconut milk and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop