Give this spooktacular snack a try! Kids won’t make any bones about eating their veggies after making this delicious Halloween treat. Hollow out a pumpkin and put a bowl full of hummus inside as a tasty dip. Arrange leftover veggies in a dish on the side. Servings 8. Total time 30 minutes.
1 jicama, peeled
1 head of cauliflower florets
1 red pepper, sliced
1 orange pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
24 green beans
2 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 zucchini, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
5 broccoli florets
1 mushroom, sliced
2 black olives, 1 sliced, 1 diced
1/4 cup arugula
1 cup hummus (for dipping)
1 medium pumpkin (optional)
- Skull Pick a platter for the background. Cut peeled jicama in half. Using the peeler, peel the sides of the jicama until it is pear shaped. The wider end will be the top of the skull. It should be full and rounded. Start narrowing the sides about half way down and round off the bottom. This will be the jaw. The narrow end is the jaw of the skull. Carve a flat spot near the bottom for the mouth. Carve two flat spots near the top for eyes. Place the skull at the top of the platter.
- Spine For the spine, arrange cauliflower florets in a row under the skull. Pile red, orange, and yellow pepper slices on either side of the cauliflower for ribs.
- Arms and hands Stack 3 beans on each side for upper arms. Stack 3 more on each side for lower arms. Put a cherry tomato half on each side between the upper and lower stacks for elbows. Add zucchini slices for palms. Make fingers out of carrot slices.
- The rest of the body Arrange 5 broccoli florets at the bottom of the spine for hips. Make upper legs by stacking 3 green beans on each side of the broccoli. Make lower legs by stacking 3 green beans on each side below the upper legs. For knees place half a cherry tomato between the stacks on each side. For feet cut a mushroom slice in half.
- Face and hair Put round slices of olive on jicama for eyes. Add diced olive for the nose and teeth. Arrange arugula under the jicama for spooky hair.
Calories: 131, Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 110 mg, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Dietary Fiber: 9 g, Protein: 5 g
By Mighty Media. Reprinted by permission from welcometothetable.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.welcometothetable.coop