Sweet potatoes are a tasty way to add important nutrients to your diet like Vitamin A, fiber and even protein. Substitute your favorite sausage, ground meat or meatless alternative if you prefer. Have fun topping the chili; try a spoon of plain yogurt, cilantro, diced avocado or tortilla chips – you can’t go wrong! Serves 6. Prep time 25 minutes active; 55 minutes total.
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ pound turkey sausage, casings removed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 sweet potatoes, chopped into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
14.5 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage; break up any large chunks and sauté until no pink remains. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl; cover.
- Add onion, bell pepper and sweet potato to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Return meat to pot. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, water, spices and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in beans.
- Cover and simmer until chili thickens slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop