Spread this light, fresh pesto on a prepared pizza crust and top with goat cheese before baking or broiling and cut in small triangles for a seasonal appetizer. Add halved cherry tomatoes and snips of fresh herbs or garlic scapes if you like. Serves 4-6. Prep time: 25 minutes.
4 cups lightly packed arugula
½ cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
1 clove garlic
1⁄3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup frozen peas, thawed
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- Process the arugula, parsley, garlic, Parmesan and peas in a food processor until they form a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl twice.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and olive oil and process, scraping down as needed, to make a smooth, creamy pesto.
- Place the pesto in a bowl and stir in the lemon zest.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with the pesto.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop