Serve on a bed of steaming hot jasmine or japonica rice or alongside sesame seasoned udon or soba noodles. Add baby salad greens or shredded cabbage and roll in a warmed whole wheat tortilla for an Asian wrap. Substitute sriracha or gochujang for the crushed red pepper flakes if desired. Serves 6. Prep time 30 minutes.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
14 ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-2 inch cubes
1 red onion, thinly julienned
2 bell peppers, thinly julienned
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
3 tablespoons tamari
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cubed tofu and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring occasionally to brown all sides.
- Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tamari, rice vinegar, brown sugar and red pepper flakes and let simmer for a few more minutes.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop