The toasted sesame oil and garlic add depth to this simple vegetarian dish. This meal makes it easy to get greens in your diet. Try using broccoli for the kale when broccoli’s on sale. Or leave out the pasta and top the kale with poached or fried eggs for a high protein breakfast option. Serves 4. Prep time: 20 minutes active; 35 minutes total.
¾ pound firm tofu, sliced in 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
4 cups water
2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 bunch kale, tough ribs removed, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Toss tofu cubes with 2 tablespoons of canola oil, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, and half of the minced garlic, making sure the cubes are well coated.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While tofu is baking, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add penne pasta and boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Heat the remaining oils in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the rest of the garlic and red pepper flakes and let them sizzle for just a moment. Add the kale a handful at a time, turning frequently with tongs. Once kale turns bright green and begins to wilt, about 2 to 3 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Mix the kale with the baked tofu, tossing well.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop