If you like the slight tanginess of Italian marinated vegetables, you will love them paired with pesto, Asiago cheese, chicken and ham in this super sandwich. Look for a focaccia bread thick enough to split and stuff with goodies, or a wide baguette that will cradle all the delicious fillings. Serves 4. Prep time: 25 minutes.
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
6 ounce jar marinated artichokes
½ cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
½ cup slivered roasted red peppers
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
1 large baguette or focaccia
¼ cup prepared pesto sauce
4 slices ham
- Drain the artichokes, reserving 1 tablespoon of the marinade.
- Place the chicken, artichoke hearts, reserved marinade, olives, peppers, parsley and cheese in a medium bowl and toss to mix.
- Slice the focaccia, or baguette, in half lengthwise.
- Spread the pesto over one cut side and cover with the chicken mixture.
- Top with sliced ham and the remaining half of the bread.
- Cut the sandwich into four sections or wedges.
- Heat a griddle or large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until hot (holding your hand an inch away will feel very hot).
- Lightly brush the top and bottom of the sandwich sections with olive oil and place in the hot pan, then place a second pan or a heavy pot on top.
- Cook for 2 minutes per side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- You can also use a panini grill to heat the sandwiches, or, in a pinch, wrap sandwiches in waxed paper and microwave them to melt the cheese.
- Serve warm.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop