About the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is elected by the membership to serve a three year term for the Olympia Food Co-op. The Board establishes policies, oversees the operating and capital budgets, approves plans and recommendations, and sets general guidelines for staff and working members. They hold ultimate legal responsibility for the operations and actions of the Co-op.
Board members receive working member credit for their time spent in Board and committee meetings. The monthly commitment ranges between 10 to 20 hours.
Elections are held October 15th – November 15th every year.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have no experience, can I apply to be on the Board?
We encourage anyone with passion, commitment, and time to apply. Do you…
- want to engage in board meetings and committee work?
- want to learn about our co-op, or have prior experience with other co-ops?
- want to learn about consensus decision making, or have prior experience in consensus decision making?
- enjoy food, cooperatives, volunteering, the democratic process?
What are the benefits of participating as a Board member?
- receive discounts on co-op purchases
- receiving training on consensus decision-making and anti-oppression
- learn about the Co-op’s finances, policies, general procedures, and history
What are the requirements for participation on the Board?
- attend the monthly Board meetings
- join 2 – 3 committees, with bi-weekly or monthly meetings
- regularly read and respond to emails
- a minimum commitment of 10 hours per month
To be eligible to run, a candidate must be…
- a current member of the Olympia Food Co-op
- willing to make a three year commitment as a Board Member
- available for training in November, December, and early January
- available the first weekend each June for our Board retreat
How do I find out more information prior to applying?
- you are always welcome to come to our Board meetings, held third Thursdays, 6:30 – 9:30p.m. 610 Columbia St. SW
- read through our bylaws
- wander around our website
- contact us with any questions